Vinegar is one of those often overlooked ingredients in our kitchen cupboards. Simple white vinegar is a staple in households for pickling, on top of fish & chips, or for all-natural household cleaning.
But vinegar is so much more than the distilled jug we find in our kitchen. Simply mix a great vinegar with a great oil and you have a simply fabulous salad dressing. Try making your own flavoured vinegars by infusing bottles of vinegar with your favourite herbs -- great for flavouring fish, salads and poultry. Herbs look just wonderful in a tall elegant bottle of vinegar and make the perfect hostess gift.
This month we feature the KitchenAid immersion blender -- great not only for mixing up your own salad dressings and vinaigrettes, but perfect for whipping up smoothies as the kids head out the door and back to school!
September is an action packed month in the Hills of Headwaters. Fall fairs, art festivals and even a Parade of Horses on Broadway! We hope you’ve had a wonderful summer and we look forward to seeing you in the store as the calendar page turns to September!
In this Issue
Culinary Events and News
MILLCROFT INN & SPA CULINARY CLASSES
"Winter Soups and Stews "
Saturday, September 18th - 2:00 pm
Join award-winning Chef Roberto Fracchione as he shares some of his trade secrets, favourite ingredients and helpful tools in these fun 60-90 minutes classes.
Sponsored by FROM THE KITCHEN TO THE TABLE.
SUMMERFEAST in the Hills of Headwaters - 2 days left - until Friday September 3rd!
Experience some of the finest restaurants in the Hills of Headwaters.
Exquisite restaurants at affordable prices!
John D. the August winner of a RSVP Shopping BaZket
September Draw ~ Vinegar Gift Pack
ENTER TO WIN! All subscribers to our electronic newsletter will be entered to win a Vinegar Gift Pack featuring Wildly Delicious’ oil & vinegar and Trudeau’s Oil & Vinegar Cruet ($55 value).
Subscribe to Secrets from our Kitchen
Breeders’ Parade of Horses on Broadway
Saturday, September 11th - 9:00 am
Come and see horses parading down Broadway for the grand opening of Destination Equitation. Drop by the store -- we’ll be open at 9:00 am for the festivities!
September 11th to 18th
An 8-day celebration of equestrian excellence in the Hills of Headwaters.
DOWNTOWN ORANGEVILLE’S MARKET ON BROADWAY
Every Saturday Morning ~ 8am to 1pm
The area’s best Farmers’ Market is serving up fresh local produce, baked goods, flowers and community interaction!
Save these dates:
Riedel Wine Tasting ~ Thursday, October 21st at 7 pm
Zwilling J.A. Henckels Knife Sharpening ~ November 25th between 5 pm and 8 pm.
Did you know?
- The word “vinegar” comes from the Old French “vin aigre” which means “sour wine”.
- Traces of vinegar have been found in Egyptian urns dating back to approximately 3000 BC.
- Try mixing vinegar, fruit juice and a small amount of detergent to trap the common fruit fly.
- It’s been said that drinking a teaspoon of white distilled vinegar can help you get rid of the hiccups. Give it a try and let us know!
- Authentic balsamic vinegar comes from Modena in Emilia-Romagna, Italy with only 3,000 gallons of authentic balsamic vinegar released annually.
- Roslyn, South Dakota is home to the world’s only International Vinegar Museum.
- Canada is the 4th highest importer of vinegar in the world ($22 million annually).
- While potato chips have been around since 1853, salt & vinegar flavoured chips were first introduced in the 1950s by Joe “Spud” Murphy who owned the Irish company TAYTO.
- Between 2002 and 2005 there was an approximately 1,162% increase in new vinegar products introduced worldwide!
- Pearls melt in white distilled vinegar.
Back to top^
KitchenAid Immersion Blender
The KitchenAid Immersion Blender is a powerful, functional tool that brings professional results into your home kitchen!
One of the most convenient tools you can have in your kitchen, the KitchenAid immersion blender is more convenient, easier to clean and takes up less room than food processors, stand mixers or full size blenders. Because of it’s portability, you can use your immersion blender directly in your saucepan, in a mixing bowl or in the conveniently included mixing beaker.
With a sleek design and a series of attachments including blending wand, whisk, chopper and a 3-cup blending beaker, this blender is perfect for whipping up soups and smoothies. The whisk attachment and 4-piece chopper allows you to mix, fluff and chop virtually anything you please!
Great for Soups or Mixing Drinks
The KitchenAid immersion blender comes in black, red or white, and features a powerful motor, one-touch power button, comfort grip motor body, simple ejector buttons, and a 5-foot round power cord for ease of use. The long shaft on the blender wand allows you to immerse to a depth of 8” which is a perfect length for pureeing soups, or mixing drinks. For convenience, the KitchenAid immersion blender comes with a functional drawstring, compartmentalized storing bag, and the beaker and chopper stack easily for storage.
KitchenAid Immersion Blender ~ $149.99 Each
Back to top^