Summertime, and the living is easy!
Now that the temperatures have warmed and the rain seems to have (finally) stopped, dare we believe that summer may be just around the corner.
The month of June means Father’s Day, the Orangeville Blues & Jazz Festival and the launch of the barbecue season. In anticipation of the arrival of summer, this month we’re pleased to showcase a great line of outdoor living patio items from Danesco, some terrific Kitchen Toys that will make your barbecuing easier than ever, and some wonderful summertime treats from Saxon Chocolates.
Be sure to check out our website for barbecue grilling tips, barbecue terminology, and a guide to cooking great steaks on the barbecue!
Be sure to come into downtown Orangeville from June 2nd to 5th for the Orangeville Blues & Jazz Festival, and check out our Cash & Carry Tent Sale on Saturday, June 4th.
Fire up the barbecue and enjoy Father’s Day, great blues & jazz and the beginning of summer! With warm wishes,
With warm wishes,
Our deepest sympathies are extended to our dear friend Barb Cezilio on the recent passing of her husband and best friend, Gus, as the result of a tragic car accident.
Customers of the store will know Barb as one of our valued staff members, and during this difficult time, our entire family of colleagues and customers send Barb and her family our love, support and deepest sympathies.
In this Issue
Culinary Events and News
Downtown Orangeville’s Market On Broadway
Opening Saturday, May 7th 8am to 1pm -- rain or shine!
SATURDAY, JUNE 4TH - 9AM TO 4PM
CASH & CARRY UNDER THE TENT SALE as part of the Orangeville Blues & Jazz Festival - great products & great savings!
UNTIL JUNE 9th
Purchase your Luminaries for Relay for Life at From the Kitchen to the Table
Dolores G, the May winner of a Zwilling J.A. Henckels steak knife set.
June Subscriber Draw
All subscribers to our electronic newsletter during the month of June will be entered to win a Wuesthof Trident Grand Prix II santoku knife ($160.00 value)
Subscribe to Secrets from our Kitchen
Did you know?
- Canadian statistics report that 75% of Canadian households have at least one barbecue.
- The Canadian National BBQ Championships take place in Whistler, BC between July 29th and 31st, 2011.
- Almost 60% of Canadians use their barbecue yearround.
- Lexington, North Carolina is known as the barbecue capital of the world.
- E.G. Kingsford was the inventor of the charcoal briquette.
- Many say the word barbecue originates from the Spanish word “barbacoa”, which was the Taino Indian method for cooking fish over a pit of hot coals.
- The outdoor gas grill was invented in Little Rock, Arkansas by William Wepfer and Melton Lancaster in the 1960s.
- The small “hibachi” portable barbecues are named after the traditional Japanese heating devices.
- Try putting pieces of fresh rosemary into a charcoal fire to add flavour to your barbecued food.
- United States President George Washington is quoted in his 1769 diary, that he “went up to Alexandria to a barbicue”.
Outdoor Living from Danesco
With a summery dragonfly motif and fresh, bright colours, the outdoor living tableware collection from Danesco is made of 100% food safe melamine. The collection is dishwasher safe and includes a full line of dinner plates, salad plates, bowls and platters. Complement your tableware with galvanized steel serving accessories, such as serving platter, ice bucket or multi-purpose caddy. Serve up drinks in pitchers made of food-safe BPA styrene plastic that resists scratching and cracking. The doublewalled striped tumblers come complete with lid and straw, and are perfect for poolside or patio entertaining!
Prices from as low as:
- $2.99 for bowls
- $3.99 for salad plates
- $5.99 for double-walled tumbler with lid & straw.