Eat your greens!
Most of us could use a little push when it comes to getting our daily seven to ten servings of fruits and vegetables, according to Canada’s Food Guide. Thank goodness it's summer time and there is an abundance of locally grown food at area farmers' markets. There’s nothing quite like fresh strawberries where you can taste the sunshine in them. Spinach and lettuces continue to be available and don’t forget about the onions, herbs, radishes, cucumbers and more. It's an inspiring time of year to try new foods and recipes!
One way to get a lot of produce into your system in a quick manner is to get into the habit of making smoothies. Spinach Mango Smoothie is our favourite green smoothie recipe and our ultimate feel-good drink, promise!
In This Issue:
Sigrid and Staff
The NEW The Breville Boss To Go Plus
Perhaps you’ve discovered that green smoothies aren't always as smooth as they could be...
Greens, such as spinach, kale, swiss chard, collard greens, parsley, bok choy, beet leaves and more can be tough to blend. You don’t want to have to chew your smoothie and feel you are being punished when you have your green drink. We know for a fact that the Boss blender, by Breville, blends greens smooth as silk.
With much enthusiasm we introduce you to the NEW The Breville Boss To Go Plus. This is a Super Personal Blender that pulverizes whole fruits, vegetables, nuts and leafy greens using a powerful 1000 watt motor. Due to the Kinetix blade and bowl system the blending action blends finer and smoother smoothies so it makes access to nutrition so easy. What’s unique about this personal blender is that it includes Smooth Edge Tumblers (One 700ml blending tumbler and two 450ml double wall tumblers) and four travel lids. Oh! And let’s not forget the included Durable Mill & Grind stainless steel mill. Boost your drinks by adding your own freshly-milled proteins, such as, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, chia seeds, lentils, maca powder and more.
Emile Henry BBQ Cookware
When the heat goes up the barbeque goes on! Grill some veggies and lean meats for a super healthy and great tasting meal. Emile Henry BBQ ceramic cookware, made in France, has been designed to grill your meat in a healthier way as the materials are all natural and toxic flare-ups can’t happen. Emile Henry BBQ cookware is also ideal for cooking more delicate ingredients such as fish, seafood or vegetables because of the flat cooking surface. Extremely heat resistant, Emile Henry BBQ cookware can reach 500°C/930°F. It gets hot like cast iron, but diffuses the heat more gently so the ingredients are less likely to burn.
Emile Henry Pizza Stones, Baking Stones, Planchas, Shish kabob Grills and the Fish Grills are promotionally priced for July at 25% off MSRP.
25% off in July
Lampe Berger Summer Night
Find tranquility when dining al fresco, with Summer Night fragrance by Lampe Berger. This scent contains anti-mosquito properties Perfumed with Ocean Breeze fragrance.
500ml $24.00/ 1 litre $40.00
A fragrance diffuser for the car in the shape of a star
New fragrances now in stock for the Perfum Berger car diffusers:
Orange Blossom and Soap Memories
We spend a lot of time in our vehicles and summer is no exception. As a matter of fact families may be taking day trips and holidays by car and that space can become tight and congested. Treat yourself to a beautiful Perfum Berger Car diffuser. When the fans are whirring the fragrance is dispensing.
One of our favourite kitchen staples are these beautiful Fido jars by Bormioli Rocco, made in Italy. Food storage this good looking can be showcased on your counter to display dry goods. The clear glass is a pure and clean material for safely storing food. The wide mouthed openings offer easy access and cleaning and the hinged lids make opening and closing the airtight jars a cinch. Sizes range from ½ litre to 5 litres.
We use the jars to hold make-ahead salads. Simply put the salad dressing in the bottom of the jar, followed by the harder salad items such as peppers, onions, carrots then come the light weight things such as lettuces and sprouts. Store for up to five days in the fridge, shake and enjoy right from the jar!
Starting at $6.90
The Original Wine Glass Writer
Of course these popular little markers are perfect for assigning names to drinking glasses but have you considered using them to label your glass freezer containers or glass storage jars?
It’s time to make jams, pickles and preserves! Forget the finicky stickers. When it’s time to remove the writing it simply wipes off with a sponge and soapy water. Each package contains three markers of different colours. What fun!
- Better than wine charms
- Perfect for wine tastings
- Organize and label your pantry
- Label your glazed ceramics
Joseph Joeseph Rocker Garlic Crusher
Local garlic is going to start popping up in gardens and markets shortly. Arm yourself with this gadget that one of our customers swears by. This stylish tool crushes garlic cloves quickly and easily by forcing the pieces up through its mesh holes by using downward pressure and a ‘rocking’ motion. Added bonus: It is one continuous piece of metal with no seams so it’s a breeze to clean under running water. What a simple and sophisticated item; exactly what Joseph Joseph tools are known to be.
The Garlic Box Garlic Scape Sea Salt
Grown and produced in Stratford, Ontario, NEW from The Garlic Box is Garlic Scape Sea Salt. Use this blend as a cooking and finishing salt. We carry a variety of products from this savvy company and what I find especially helpful, as a customer, is their recipe website.
Simply visit garlicrecipes.ca, select the item that you’ve purchased, press search and a whole slew of recipes will come up involving your special ingredient. Because sometimes you just don’t know what to do with something exotic-sounding like “Garlic Scape Sea Salt”.
Summer Salmon Salad
A good way to jump on summer with fresh/frozen Ontario garlic. A tasty, healthy salad with a bounty of seasonal ingredients to complement the salmon.
This simple dressing will surprise you with its vibrant flavors!
- 2 Wild Salmon fillet pieces
(1 to 1 1/2" thick) skin on
- 4 Hard boiled eggs, quartered
- 15-20 Asparagus spears, ends removed
- ¼ lb Green beans, washed and trimmed
- 12 Cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup Edemame (immature soy beans. Available where frozen vegetables are sold)
- Handful Escarole, cleaned (type of lettuce)
- 2 tbsp. Fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Fresh basil, chopped
- To taste Garlic Scape Sea Salt
- To taste Black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 Cloves fresh Ontario garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp. Whole grain mustard
- 5 tbsp. Champagne vinegar
- 2/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. Flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp Basil, chopped
- To taste Garlic Scape Sea Salt
- To taste Black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat oven or BBQ to 400F. Season salmon with salt and pepper. Roast on baking sheet or BBQ ceramic for 13-16 minutes, depending on thickness of salmon, until opaque. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes. Cut into bite sized pieces.
- While salmon is roasting, combine dressing ingredients and mix well.
- In a large saucepan, cook asparagus and green beans for 2-3 minutes.
Remove, cool in ice bath and dry.
- Combine asparagus, beans, tomatoes, edamame, escarole, dill, basil and salt and pepper. Arrange on individual plates and top with egg quarters and salmon pieces.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve.
Garlic & Blue Cheese Pizza with Oven Dried Tomatoes
Personalize it with the addition of buttered mushrooms and/or red peppers.
- 1 Pizza crust or dough
- ¼ cup Super Garlicky Bread dipper with Blue Cheese
- 10 oz pkg baby spinach
- 3oz Cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup Sweet onion, sliced thinly
- 1 cup Bacon, cooked, chopped
- 1 tsp. Roasted Garlic Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 clove Fresh Ontario garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Rosemary, chopped
- ¼ cup Blue cheese (or cheese of your choice), crumbled
- Toss cherry tomatoes with Roasted Garlic Sea Salt, minced garlic and olive oil. Bake 275F for one hour to concentrate natural sweetness of tomatoes.
- Cook bacon, remove from heat and wrap in paper towel before chopping. Keep some bacon fat with 1 tbsp butter added to sautee sliced onion until golden in colour.
- Brush pizza crust with Super Garlicky Bread Dipper with Blue Cheese.
- Sprinkle pizza with rosemary, bacon, onion and spinach, evenly coating pizza crust. Top with scattering of oven baked tomatoes. Add crumbled blue cheese.
- Bake 450F for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden.
- Let stand 5 minutes.