Napkin Folding Techniques
Fan Napkin Fold*
- Fold napkin in half and then make 1/2” accordion pleats, starting a bottom.
- Fold in half with pleating on the outside.
- Fold upper right corner diagonally to folded base of pleats and turn under edge.
- Place on table and release pleats to form fan.
Cardinal's Hat Napkin Fold*
- Fold napkin in half diagonally and then fold corners to meet at top point.
- Turn napkin over with points to the top, fold lower corner 2/3 way up.
- Fold back onto self.
- Bring corners together, tucking one into the other.
- Open base of fold and stand upright.
* Source: Custom Linen Service
Did you know …
Historians believe the use of cloth napkins began in the Middle Ages, when instead of using the tablecloth, strips of cloth were introduced to wipe mouths.
- Only place your napkin in your lap once everyone is seated at the table.
- Never shake a folded napkin.
- If you need to leave your seat during the meal, place your napkin on your chair.
- At the end of your meal, placing your napkin to the right of your plate is the appropriate way to indicate you are finished.