Friends have asked me to share this recipe over the years because it is always a crowd pleaser. I’ve finally had a moment to write it out. Make it a day or two ahead of serving and keep in the fridge. I store it in a large Fido glass jar, it makes it easy to see the quantity or what is left over. Enjoy it over the holidays. It’s especially tasty for New Year’s Eve. Adapted from The Elegant but Easy cook book by Marian Fox Burros and Lois Levine.
- 1 ¼ cup salad oil
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp. Salt
- 2 ½ tsp. celery seed
- 2 ½ tbsp. capers and some juice
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 lbs shrimp, cooked and cleaned
- 1 onion, thinly sliced in rings
- 2 – 3 bay leaves
- In a bowl combine the oil, vinegar, salt, celery seed, capers and hot pepper sauce.
- Place cooked, shelled shrimp in a bowl or storage jar.
- Pour the mixed ingredients over the shrimp. Mix and cover or close the lid on the Fido jar and keep in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
Will keep fresh for up to one week in the fridge. Serve it with baguette or over lettuce or with mashed potatoes.
Prep Time: 20 minutes