Emile Henry Quick-Bake Bread
- 500g/1 lb plain flour
- 300 g/10 ½ oz warm water, 86° F (30º C)
- 10 g/2 tsp salt
- 10 g/2 tsp caster sugar (superfine, not icing sugar)
- 10 g/2 tsp dried baker's yeast
- 30 ml/2 tbsp milk
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour in the warm water and knead for 2-3 minutes.
- Make a ball with the dough. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise in a warm place (on top of the fridge maybe) for 20 minutes.
- Knead the dough again and make a ball.
- Flour the cooking surface (Emile Henry cloche or baguette baker) and place dough on it.
- Leave to rise again for 45 minutes under the lid of the baking device.
- Preheat the oven to 460ºF (240?C)
- Brush with milk, sprinkle with flour. Score the top of the dough (see picture)
- Return the lid to the baker and bake for 35 minutes in a 460ºF (240?C) oven.
- Cool with lid off to ensure a crusty loaf.