Sigrid's Favourite Cinnamon Stars
- 2 cups unblanched almonds (about 3 ½ cups, grated)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Lightly grease two cookie sheets.
2. Grate almonds and set aside.
3. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
4. Add sugar gradually, beating constantly.
5. Beat egg white-sugar mixture for 5 min. with an electric mixer on medium speed. Blend in lemon peel and cinnamon.
6. Set aside ½ cup of this meringue mixture and fold almonds into remaining meringue mixture. Gently pat or roll out 3/8 inch thick on pastry cloth sprinkled with granulated sugar. Lightly sprinkle the top of the dough with more sugar. Cut out cookies with 2 inch star-shaped cookie cutter dipped in confectioners' sugar. Carefully place stars on cookie sheets. Drop ½ teaspoon of the reserved meringue onto each cookie, drawing meringue out onto points of the star.
7. Bake at 325 º F 15 to 18 minutes
8. With a spatula, immediately remove cookies from cookie sheets to cooling racks.