(Bread pudding with sweet cherries)
Kirschenmichel (Bread pudding with sweet cherries)
Out off my Gräfe und Ulzer Kochbuch, 17th edition
Great summer dessert – best one day after it was prepared
Ingredients to serve 8 people:
1 Kg Sweet cherries
6 old dry buns or a small plain bread loaf
3/8 l lukewarm milk
100g fine sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
50 g sliced almonds or chopped
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp icing sugar
Butter for the baking dish
- Rinse the cherries and let them dry, remove stem and stone.
- Cut the old buns into cubes (½ inch to 1 inch) and soak them in the lukewarm milk.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ºC
- Use an oven safe baking form – I like my Emile Henry dish in red – and butter the inside.
- Separate eggs into egg whites and egg yolks
- Mix egg yolks with sugar and cinnamon
- add the cherries and sliced almonds and
- Mix into the bread mixture.
- Whisk egg whites with salt until stiff
- Fold into the cherry/bread mixture and place into the buttered baking dish.
- Add little dollops of butter onto of the soufflé to make the top a bit crunchy.
- Bake on the second lowest level of your oven for 40-50 minutes.
- Prior to serving sprinkle icing sugar over the soufflé.
Serve with Vanilla sauce