Cabernet Braised Short Ribs
- 3-4 pounds Beef short ribs (roughly 4 large short ribs)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Parsnips, peeled & cut into chunks
- 4 Medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 Medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Garlic bulb, peeled & sectioned
- 1 tbsp All purpose flour
- 1 750ml bottle Cabernet Sauvignon wine
- 2 cups Beef broth
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Fresh thyme
- Sea salt & ground pepper to season
Season ribs with salt and pepper.
In a large pot, heat oil on medium-high heat and brown ribs on each side.
Remove ribs from pot and set aside.
Add parsnips, carrots, onion and garlic.
Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
Add wine, broth and mustard, scraping up brown bits on bottom of pan.
Return short ribs to pot and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, covered, over low heat, for 2 hours.
After 2 hours, remove lid and simmer for another 30 minutes over medium-high heat.
Add thyme to taste.
Serve with rice, mashed potatoes, or over noodles.
Makes 4 servings