Clay Baker Beef Stew
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1 single-serving envelope instant tomato soup mix
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 cup Burgundy
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 carrots, quartered
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Cover a 2-quart clay baker and upturned lid with water and soak for 10 minutes; drain. Cut beef into 1-inch cubes and coat with flour; arrange in bottom of clay baker. Combine tomato soup mix, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Stir in water, Burgundy and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over meat. Add potatoes, carrots, onions and celery. Cover baker. Place in a COLD oven. Turn oven to 400 degrees F and bake for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
Read more on clay bakers from Romertopf and Schlemmertopf of Germany and Six Golden Rules for Using A Clay Baker.