- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each balsamic vinegar and orange juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated orange peel
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) quinoa
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken broth or water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each diced dried apricots and dried blueberries or currants
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped chives or parsley
Melt butter in a shallow saucepan or deep skillet set over medium heat. Add onion, vinegar, orange juice, thyme, orange peel and salt; cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add quinoa and stir for 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Stir in apricots, blueberries and parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve hot or at room temperature. Serve by scooping into a ramekin or custard cup and packing lightly. Turn out onto serving plates next to the fanned strips of chicken and bundles of beans. For buffet service, place in a bowl and fluff with a fork before serving.
Makes 16 servings.
Tip: If making ahead, stir blueberries into mixture just before serving.
Make-Ahead: Can be made at least 8 hrs ahead.