Quinoa CORN & BLACK BEAN Salad Recipe
- 1 1/2 dry quinoa
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sweet corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 oz low-fat feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
Optional Protein Booster: 2 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken breast
Vinaigrette for Quinoa Salad
- 2 TBS olive, walnut or avocado oil
- 3 TBS lime juice (the juice of about two limes) or 3 packets True Lime crystallized lime (reconstituted in 3 TBS water)
- 2 TBS water
- 1 fresh garlic clove, minced or 1 tsp jarred minced garlic
- 1 TBS cumin
- 1 tsp Epazote (Optional)
- 1 tsp dried Mexican or Greek oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder, Ancho Chili Powder or Chipotle Powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
Place quinoa and 3 cups water in 1 1/2 quart saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook until all water is absorbed (about 15 minute.) Remove from heat, let cool and fluff with a a fork.
While quinoa is cooking, prepare the vinaigrette by combining the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and whisking until well combined.
In a very large bowl, combine the cooled quinoa grain with the remaining ingredients (red onion, black beans, corn, tomatoes and chicken breast and feta cheese, if using).
Pour vinaigrette over the salad, and mix until well combined.
Serve as an entree or as a side salad with a main course.
Chill leftovers for quick lunches and dinners later in the week.