SOUP’S ON WINNERS!
A great big thank you to everyone who entered our SOUP’S ON contest. We are pleased to announce Michelle Howell's Clam Chowder as a runner up.
- 1/2 Spanish onion
- 5 strips bacon (chopped fine)
- 1 can clams
- 1 can chicken rice soup
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 can evaporated milk
Finely chop onion and bacon and sauté in one tablespoon of butter.
Do not brown onions just soften and translucent.
Add chopped potatoes, clam juice and chicken soup. Add all spices, cook until potatoes are tender.
Add drained clams and one can of evaporated milk.
Reduce heat and stir.
Add a pinch of cayenne pepper and one teaspoon of curry power.
Do not boil just simmer gently.
Of Soup and Love...
- Old Spanish proverb: "Of soup and love, the first is best!"
- Soup can be traced back to almost 6000 BC. The first recorded soup was said to be made from hippopotamus and the hearts of five sparrows.
- Despite it's French name, vichyssoise (cold potato soup) was first prepared in New York City at the Ritz Carlton Hotel (albeit by French Chef Lois Diat who was born near Vichy, France).
- The word soup is said to come from the word "sop", which was said to be a stewlike dish where bread was used for sopping up the liquid.
- Dr. John T. Torrance invented the first condensed soup in 1897 while working as a chemist for the Campbell Soup Company.