Apple Bran Muffins
- 1 cup Packed brown sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Buttermilk or soured milk *
- 6 tbsp Butter or margarine, melted
- 3 tbsp Molasses
- 1 ½ cups Natural wheat bran
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Finely chopped peeled apple
- ¾ cup Raisins or dates
Preheat oven to 400F.
Grease or line 12 large muffin cups
Combine brown sugar, egg, buttermilk, butter and molasses in a large mixing bowl.
Combine bran, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Stir into buttermilk mixture & mix well.
Stir in apple & raisins.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin pans.
Bake for 17-23 minutes or until top springs back lightly when touched.
Makes 1 dozen muffins.
Excellent for freezing.
* Buttermilk Substitute - For 1 cup of buttermilk, use 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar, plus milk, to make 1 cup.