Yellow Bell Pepper Soup
From Rose Reisman's "Secrets for Permanent Weight Loss"
Nothing matches the flavour and sweetness of yellow bell peppers when they're in season. I often buy them in bulk, grill them and freeze them so I have them all year round. You can also try this soup with red or orange bell peppers, or use a combination of colours.
Cook Time:55 mins
- 4 yellow bell peppers
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/4 cups chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups diced, peeled sweet potatoes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or parsley
- 1/4 cup lower-fat plain yogurt
1. Slice the peppers in half, removing the top, ribs and seeds. Either grill or roast
them in a 450°F oven for 30 minutes, turning after 20 minutes. Place in a bowl
and cover until cool. Peel and chop.
2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick saucepan sprayed with vegetable spray, heat the oil then add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes or until the onions are softened and lightly browned. Add the stock, sweet potatoes, salt, pepper and roasted peppers. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Place the soup in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Garnish with fresh basil and a dollop of yogurt.
Protein 5.5 g
Net carbohydrates 20.5 g
Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 0.8 g
Cholesterol 3.2 mg
Sodium 225 mg
Fibre 4.1 g
* Recipe courtesy of: Rose Reisman's "Secrets for Permanent Weight Loss" 2005, Whitecap Books, page 184
Introducing Emile Henry's new Mini Stewpots
I fell in love with these new stewpots the moment I saw them. I already have plans to have some friends over for dinner and begin the meal with individual bowls of soup served up in these charming little pots!
These mini stewpots are also perfect for serving small portions of gratin, potato purée and lentils. For pudding or to make an individual soufflé — these mini stewpots are a guaranteed success!
Available in red & black.